Friday, May 13, 2011

Where the Gum fits (blog #4)

So I must say, this blog was a lot harder to take pics along the way....One, it was A RIDICULOUSLY BUSY DAY AT WORK...holy shit.  But also, I don't feel that this assignment was as "easy" to track...But here we go.


I actually chewed gum, a lot more than "normal" today. I started out early...way early.  To not my choosing, I was up at 530am.  The boyfriend had to get up early, he has dogs, lights, and a lot of movement in the house, I COULD NT sleep...So with wedding season in mind I went to the gym...In popped the gum.

I kind of spaced taking the picture before I left, so I took it when I got home.  650am....ARG! So early, so totally not normal for me to chew gum that early...BUT, probably the best thing ever.  When I woke up, before I left, I felt tired, gross (like whoops forgot to brush my teeth before being out in public) so gum not only freshened my breath, but WOKE ME UP. My love for spearmint (the kind I purchased on Tuesday) helped in this instance, enough spiciness to get my ass to the gym, and open my eyes a little.  I expected this, as I enjoy this flavor of gum and I knew it would compensate for (don't tell anyone) not brushing my teeth.  So I guess that goes to the next question, did this replace something at 545ish in the morning, YES. . . my toothbrush.  and it made me feel great!  Like I tricked society.

It wast until I got to work, had breakfast, till I popped my next gum square.  I carried the spearmint around with me, although I have the juicy fruit on my desk, because I feel more "refreshed" with the spearmint.

My office mates were funny..."Why this one not that one."--Says two, mothers of their own children, who have adopted me into "mothering" me at work...office moms:  "Because", I said "I just had breakfast and need fresh breath.  Not a quick juice kick."  It wasn't until I finished this statement that I realized it was because of the assignment that I was choosing the gum vs the mint. So in a way it replaced the mint to have a "quick freshness" before seeing patients.

So again, I say, it was a busy day.  Not as many opportunities to take pictures.  The last time I popped gum was after lunch.  I know this will sound weird but, I felt that my mouth had to feel cleaner because I had a diet coke.  I don't usually drink soda but when I do, my teeth feel dirty.

So I guess this was about 2pm....

And as I am looking at my chicken scratch of notes I took today, I did pop one more piece of gum at 330...And it was completely and utterly out of boredom.  My office mates and I were so so so ready to leave, and I was in a lull.  I needed something to do, So I took the gum  I thought about this and realized that the gum replaced my hand-fiddler toys I have by my computer----I had no idea where they went...I snuck a peek to the very right of the computer, in a sand pal, and there they were---my toys!  I guess my office mate thought my toys needed to be "cleaned up."

I realized that usually in the afternoon, when I am in the afternoon slump, I play.  Its the basis of my job, so why not I guess.  I usually play with these wind up cars, and when they weren't in my reach, I reached for gum!  Guess this is what happens when I carry it on me.  I felt good to carry it with me, because I did feel like it fired me up, gave me some energy.  I do feel that it is because of the flavor, not just the "gum piece."  If it was the juicy fruit I don't think I would have chewed so many today.

It was difficult to add in gum when I was thinking about it, prior to this day.  When the day popped up, not hard at all, the gum totally fit into my day which was not was I was expecting....(as long as the case fit in the pocket--The juicy fruit case would not have fit!)  I looked to gum today as my "pick me up" vs the chocolate, mint, or more coffee.

Looking at the questions, I believe that I don't "typically chew gum" because i don't typically buy it.  But also because I have more options around me, like the chocolate, mint, toys, etc. that are already in hands reach.  These things take gums place because they are already present.

I totally chewed gum a LOT more in high school and in college.  I think because in high school, I was constantly in sports, activities, etc.  I was always "on the go" and not a lot of down time, so I would chew during practice and games.  In college I think I was always under a lot of stress...sometimes great stress (which parties, what happy hour) but also, classes, rent, and work.  I think when i chewed gum, it helped reduce my stress, gave my mind something to do.  I think things have changed because of priorities.  Sometimes food and rent are my top of all top priorities, and I just don't think about buying gum.  I think even though I have other types of stress then I did in college, I have other things to help reduce stress, I tend to drink more wine now (for fun, and to relax), a different type of social structure (young professionals in the professional world), and more walks around parks, nice Happy Hours on porch...more a relaxed way of dealing with a lot of stuff going on, vs having to fix things quick like in college (if it wasn't the school schedule making you get things done, it was the maturity age of your peers.  You know a lot more peer pressure...We are all alot more mature now)

To make gum more of a regular part of my day, I would need to stock it---as simple as that.  I have mints, chocolate, toys, all in my arms reach whenever I have a "lull" at work.  After these assignments, I think I do "look" for something to perk me up, something to light my fire, something to freshen me up throughout the day.  I do feel that a spearmint flavor not a fruity flavor would do the trick more often.

This has been such a fun week, completing these assigments.  Cant wait for the focus group.

Thanks again!

Ash

2 comments:

  1. Great observations, Ashley. A few follow-ups:

    1. You talk about gum really "waking you up" in the morning. Does it do this the same as toothpaste or better?

    2. So in retrospect, how does the gum compare to you usual "mint"?

    3. What would you have done after having the Diet Coke if not gum? Anything? Would a mint have made your teeth feel "clean"?

    4. You decided it was nice to be "carrying" gum on you. Also interested how important the Eclipse packaging was to enable that (JF did not)! What else could a gum company do to help facilitate you being able to easily carry gum on you?

    5. Such an interesting observation about how as an adult you have more outlets to alleviate stress then when you were younger. After this exercise, do you feel you've outgrown gum or that it could honestly still have a role in your day? Why?

    6. If so, WHEN and WHY would it best fit?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snacking....

    This particular morning, I feel that the gum did a better job at waking me up than toothpaste...Now, could it have been because I dont normally chew it, and I normally brush my teeth maybe my mouth was in shock--perhaphs. But I do feel that it aslo could have been because my mouth was actively doing something-chewing. Also, the toothpaste at the boy's house is NOT a minty-flavor one, so it also could have been I was not wanting his toothpaste! haha, oh man....Because this gum, was the mintyness that I like, it was great! Not too spicy for me.

    If I didnt go for the gum after the Diet Coke, I most likely would have gone for the mint---however, I do NOT feel like it would have made my mouth/teeth feel "clean". I do feel when I am actively chewing, it does clean my teeth---Ah ha, if this does not actually happen, I mean not possible for a gum to literally take the bacteria off my teeth, dont tell me, I would like to believe that it does.

    When talking abotu packaging, I tend to think the plastic pop-out kind, like Eclipse, is better for me than sticks, or the packageing JF came in. I tend to put things in my pant pocket or sweatshirt pockets--Sticks tend to melt for me.

    ~The only thing I could suggest for the plastic pop out kind, for them to make periforated strips along the plastic...I tend to "cut strips" (like 3 to a strip whatever) so it fits easier in my pockets.~

    To answer this next question I do have to say, that I dont ever think I wil outgrow gum...I am always down to blow bubbles---and if you got, and willing to share, Ill take it. But I see it now more as a means to an end, instead of it always in my packpack....I see it now as me needing a "quick freshen", or "Arg I am so mad at my co-worker why I type this"...chew then be done.

    I do feel now that I will make more of a conscious decision to make it more a part of my day/world. I do enjoy it, love the taste of it, but in all honesty never put this much time or engergy in thinking about it. I feel that it will fit best at work. That is the time, I need an alternative focus most during the week.


    Thanks again for all of this fun...I really did enjoy it!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete