Monday, May 9, 2011

Day in the Life (blog #2)

715ish: So when I wake up, I crave water, icy water with no straw, which if very unusual for me...I am a Straw kind of girl.  I woke up later than usual today, so I quickly got ready made coffee and was out the door.  I did make sure I brushed my teeth before running out the door---Crest toothpaste with whitening. 

Apparently I was to busy singing in the car, as I didn't even go for a sip of coffee until I got to work.

815ish:  I am starving when I get to work.  I have two office mates, who are already hard at work.  I purchased some Haribo Mini Rainbow Gummi Frogs, for one of my office mates for Mothers day--her favorite....So I guess we can call this the breakfast of champions?

The coffee you ask....black no name brand my roommate bought with about tbs of Peppermint Mocha Creamer---everyday is like Christmas!  Why did I chose to eat gummi frogs and coffee the first thing in the morning?  Well, the coffee is what we had in the house, and the frogs we ate early because my office mate opened them early---I am no good on peer pressure.  After eating frogs, I was not satisfied, so when my colleague asked if I wanted to get a "snack" for breakfast, I felt guilty as I had already had a "snack".  Sure sugared up coffee and sugared up frogs, not the best but oh well....So I went to the cafeteria with her.

845ish:  Trying to get over my feelings of guilt, I say to my self, "Self you need normal food, some protein of some sort.  You are not full or satisfied with just gummies"  So I met my friend Ali in the cafeteria and got some scrambled eggs and bacon.
Yes they look plain...I added salsa, Tabasco, S and P.  I sat they wondering why I made this choice, as I new I had to reflect on the blog.  My normal, breakfast sandwich or breakfast burrito.  I couldn't get the breakfast burrito today, as I knew I was going to the Rio this evening for dinner and drinks, and the breakfast sandwich, to expensive.  So cheap eggs from the cafeteria it is!

1115ish:  The day is going, and I have finished off a nalgine and a half of water.  My water bottle has a sports straw in it and throughout the day found my self chopping on the straw.  Near this time, I realized how frustrated I was getting at reading some docs notes about my patients.  I found my self opting to chew a piece of sugar free Juicy Fruit Sweet Fruit Gum.  I chose this because it was on my desk and I was on my computer, but I found that I wasn't so frustrated when I was chewing the gum.


I left my office for a little and returned to find my self alone again in my office, and needed a "refresher" before meeting with some patients and their parents.  I grabbed a sugar free winter fresh mint from my office mates stash and off to meet my patients.  I also finished up the other half of the water bottle.


145ish:  After running around working, I decided to get some lunch.  My friend Ali (yes the one who I had breakfast with--I promise I work, not just eat throughout the day) had chicken noodle soup for lunch, and that sounded good.  Again, I knew I didnt want to eat "too" much as I will be having the Rio for dinner, so soup sounded like a good in between.  I wasnt starving, but knew I needed to eat.  I usually eat lunch around 1pm, so going down closer to 2pm, all my lunch friends had already eaten, so I purchased and came back to my office....
As you can see...NOT soup.  That soup did NOT look appetizing,so a Chicken Caesar Salad looked like it would do the trick!  It was already made, looked fresh...sold.   
  I purchased the Grandma Style Peanut Butter Cookies on a whim, thought I would eat them tomorrow....
I was wrong. 
I didn't eat them right away...I did finish another 24 oz water bottle however....

245ish:  I am back in my office to chart.  I felt stressed/overwhelmed/ and started to freak out that it was almost 3, and I had a shit done of shit to get done before 4...All of a sudden I found myself chewing on a bobby pin.  I didn't even have a recollection of when I took it out of my hair, and all of a sudden it was in my mouth!  But you know, its small enough I don't have to utilize my other hand to hold it, which was great as I was typing with both hands.

330ish:  Now the Grandma Peanut Butter Cookies get eaten! BOTH OF THEM!  arg........now I feel guilty and full.  I should go to the gym, but instead Ill go for happy hour!  I can always go to the gym in the morning, right?  At least another water bottle has been drank---24 more oz!

6ish: Ladies Night Out.  I meet my favorite friend Lo at the Rio, our favorite place.  She recently had a baby, and last week was her first week back after maternity. 

Here is me and her lovey Rylan....



She is a teacher and it has always been our tradition to go to the Rio when her (or mine) work week has been extra hard.  Our favorite items on the list...
Strawberry Light MargsChips and Salsa

and  Queso.
We love our Queso....
We also ordered a chicken burrito smothered in green chili, but we ate it too fast to take a picture.  We split the burrito, which made me feel better knowing I was only eathing half.  And I felt full, satisfiedd, but not pant buttons about to pop off. 
These are our typical "traditional" items we always get when we go to the Rio...
We had to stick with our tradition.


After consuming the queso, half of a burrito, and more chips and salsa, I realize that I had been chomping on all the ice my water glass, and my marg glass had to offer.  Reason, the salsa was flipping spicy (which I love) had a huge kick to it...another, I have a hard time NOT chewing ice.

927ish:  As I finish this last post, I have realized I have had my finger in my mouth, while I was reviewing, placeing pics, and watching TV.  I guess my finger because I want this blog to be "quality" something I am proud of so I am taking the time to review it, and I put my fingers or straws in my mouth when I think...Fingers are handy, straws are not.

Good Night!

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, This is a fabulous blog!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work and thoughtfulness.

    One Q: It looks like you use gum for different reasons. Tell me more about the connection of being frustrated and why Juicy Fruit fit there. What did you feel it doing for you? Why that brand?

    Similarly, talk more about the role of Winter Fresh later. Why then? What specifically did you feel it doing for you? Why that brand?

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snacking---Thank you so much for the compliment, I have never tried this "blogging thing" before so slowly getting it, and enjoying it...Although I just wrote the longest response ever to your comments,and it magically erased...so ROUND TWO.

    To answer your questions:

    -I think I use gum for two reasons: one to freshen my breath, typically after drinking (cocktails and beer) usually vs eating. And two, to distract my self while I am working on something else. So in this case I went for it to clear my head out of some frustratoin from work while I was charting on my patients. It helpded me do somethings mindless while I was concentrating---if that makes sense. The reason why the "juicy fruit"? Well because it was there. I typically dont buy gum, i borrow it or have it given to me (my mom always puts some in our stockings at Christmas). This gum a co-worker purchased and realized it was Sugar free, so she would eat it, so I took it. I realized this gum loses flavor quickly--which was fine in this case due to the fact that I was chewing it out of frustraton of work. Once I was done with my charting, I spit out the gum and carried on my day.

    second q: So as it turns out, I mispoke in my blog...it was not Winter Fresh, it was the lifesavers Wint-O-Green sugar free mints. I LOVE THIS THINGS. This is what I buy to contribute to my office candy bowl. It feels it freshens enough without being too spicy. And in this moment I needed to "freshen up" before seeing this patient...so it was perfect. Plus I dont like chewing gum in front of my patients, so a mint did the trick!

    I have tried WinterFresh Gum in the past (I think, the blue package) and it tends to break apart easily, so I am not a fan.

    Thanks for Listening!

    ReplyDelete