So interesting day, interesting task you put us on...As I was leaving work, I realized I needed other items (face wash, lotion, flowers for our garden, etc) then just Gum so I decided to go to the most cost effective place I know....
This is not my "typical" shopping place, nothing wrong with WalMart, just not my "typical." I chose this because 1. cheap face/body lotion 2. thought it would be cheap flowers, weed killer, and chairs 3. on the way home, I didn't have to "back track" to go shopping (backtracking is probably my number one pet peeve)
When I first walked in, I went straight to the flower garden section...75 dollars later! AHHHH. So mad. But I put all the flowers, chairs, and weed killer in the car then ventured back in.
It was withing seconds I realized I should have done my Gum and lotion shopping first, flowers second, as this time, when I am doing my "normal" shopping, everyone, EVERYONE was in that place. A freakin ZOO. Which is also usually the reason I DONT COME HERE. But anyway. I headed toward this isle...
When I first think of gum, I head here--to the Candy Isle. I would think of the check out line for gum, only while checking out.
Some observations: LOTS OF COLOR--
I guess it makes sense as there ares so many, a lot more than I was honestly expecting. I mean I have been in the candy isle before, but never really paid attention. I also noticed a shit ton of "dessert flavored" gums. Not sure how I feel about this. If I want a dessert flavor in my mouth, then I want to eat the real damn thing. Also, and I know its most likely because I am in the candy isle where things come in bigger packs vs individual, but I was very surprised by all the mulipack packs. And there's some friendly competition..."3 packs in this package"...."8 packs in this package".....I immediately went to, well how much for this pack, vs that pack, which means its this much per pack..."what that's not a deal!!"............
Weird what you see when you pay attention.
Gum choices today...Well, I tend to borrow, so choices today was I actually HAD to make a choice. My Mom usually has dentyne, people from work varies, and my desk has juicy fruit....
But if we are talking about the past past, like past present and future, then I would say holy cow theres a lot to chose from.
When I was little, it was bubble tape gum, the multi stripe gum that had animals on it (the name is escaping me right now) or bubble chew. Because all of these things were fun. So FUN.
Now there is desserts, layers, mints, fruits, mints that turn into gum, so many. Which is good, as products need to suite the needs of the consumer, but for me, now its more for the practical purpose--to freshen my breathe...and of course the occasional bubble blowing contest. SO for me, I could have the products be dropped down to just a handful for me to chose from.
The Trends...Whitening, Things that try to taste like something else, and Flavorful (mint with melon...wft?)
.
Feelings: Of these three I would say Whitening would be my top choice, then the flavorful ones...The gum trying to be desserts, are just NOT for me....I would rather EAT the real dessert than CHEW the pretend gum.
Even in the "original" flavors---mint, winter fresh, cinnamon---theres tons of choices!
![]() |
| DENTYNE PURE Mint with Melon---NO eclipse Spearmint---YES |
Brands NOT FOR Me Brands FOR Me
I am pretty much a Spearmint flavor hands down. So I could go for either the eclipse or the trident white. trident white offers the added benefit of "whitening your teeth" (can that really happen btw????) I chose the eclipse spearmint vs the trident white simply in my hands reach...I think I had the camera in my right hand so I reach left. These two indifferent.
I am NOT (if you couldnt tell already) into the dessert gum...Have I tried them? No. BUT I would just rather have real desserts! Also in the past, double mint gum easily falls apart, so I would not chose that. I know juicy fruit is up there, and I have it on my desk at work, but I would not actively chose to purchase it. Ill take any gum if its free.
As I stated before I purchased the eclipse spearmint gum. anything spearmint = golden with me, and this one was the one i went for...close proximity. Its not my usual brand, although the flavor is.
What does this say about me....normally I love to try new things, love adventure, love excitement. but when it comes to "buying" gum I tend to lean toward mintyness...spearmint...greatness.
I do enjoy fruity gums, they just dont usually last long, so I would not chose to purchase but if someone has some.....I will totally mooch.
ONE wish for gum: I wish for the best bubble making gum to come out soon---I dont believe we have it on the market yet.
We need a great bubble blowing gum that doesnt hurt your jaw.
If I didnt use the 5 bucks for gum (lets be honest Walmart gum is like 2 bucks) but still if I needed to spend the 5 dollars on something else, I would have bought myself dinner out like Chipolte or Subway. I know both places are a little more than 5 bucks, but I would have rather spent it on that. Gum is not a nessesity, but lunch/dinner is. And if someone gave me 5 bucks, or if I had an extra I would use it as a "treat" and buy Chipolte!
Thanks for allowing me to be a creeper in WalMart and take pics of things...I got a lot of stares. G'Night.









Great shopping trip, Ashley!
ReplyDeleteQuestion: why do you usually "borrow" gum instead of buying it yourself?
Also, when you "borrow" gum, do you ask people for it or do they just offer it, so you take it?
Net, do you ever WANT gum or is it just there?
Snacking:
ReplyDeleteSorry to get back to your questions late...So I usually "borrow" for a few reasons. To be honest, living on a budget, having other priorities when I go to the store, out , or what have you, I usually dont budget for gum. Sure its only a few dollars, but its not a "need in my life right now" that I "have to have it", if I am out. I do usually ask for it from others...hoping they wont catch me for "always asking" for it. I do WANT it, when I ask for it, but I dont usually take the steps to buy. Its usually an instant need, vs "oh i may need it later...Ill buy it at the store later" kind of situation.
Hope that answers your questions.